5/21/2008

Recommended Reading

I'm not much of a "techno-thriller" kinda guy, but after what seems like years of Glenn Reynolds recommending Weapons of Choice and by chance having a gift card burning a hole in my pocket, I finally decided to pick it up.

I'm done reading it now, and can't wait to move on to the sequel in the trilogy, Designated Targets. Not quite sure if it should be classified as alt-history or sci-fi, but it's certainly not about a bunch of lizards mucking about WWII.

(Also good, by the way.)

If you're a regular fan of great literature (which I only am when hitting on the thick-black-framed-glasses-lady-types) or never read at all (which I am...well, I never am), but have fond memories of The Final Countdown, I'd suggest picking this one up at your earliest convenience.

PS - The author of Weapons of Choice is also a blogger. He's Australian, but if you're willing to accept that English is his second language, you might also enjoy that.

1 comment:

Pete Fanning said...

Oh you just HAD to mention one of my all time FAVORITE movies, the one that goaded me into joining the Navy and made SURE I demanded I "get" an aircraft carrier as my first assignment (I did!)....

Kirk Douglas and Katharine Ross....yeah.....

Have the soundtrack CD & 2-DVD set...how can you go wrong?!